Friday, June 08, 2012

June '12

The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel, #3)The Nano Flower by Peter F. Hamilton
Ebook, 608 Pages
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


A highclass hooker has sex with a 15year old boy and ends up becoming his lover and his legal ward.

Aliens.

I didn't really enjoy this book as much as the first, or even the second. And it really put the kabosh on my desire to read more by Hamilton.



Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings
Ebook, 332 Pages
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I first discovered David Eddings in junior high. It was instant love.
Read him in highschool and in the beginning of college.

Then life started, and with that came a whole ton of new books, authors, etc that have diverted me for the last Decade+.

So, just like most of my recent rereads, I sat down to see how this book held up to my more mature, wise and married self.

Beyond the fact that I saw it for the young-adult lit it is [when I was 16 I was convinced this was cutting edge fantasy on the level of Tolkien], this held up very well.

I still laughed, I still rolled my eyes, and I grinned even harder with anticipation, KNOWING what was coming next.
Sometimes you just need a comforting book that you already know the nooks and crannies of. Well, I think the entire The Belgariad Boxed Set is pretty much that for me.



Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and BrotherhoodJoker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood by Donovan Campbell
Ebook, 313 Pages
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


While this book was well written, and correct, I didn't enjoy it like others because of the genre [non-fiction].

If you like military non-fiction, then I suspect you'll like this book. Snapshots of a military tour from the Lt's point of view. He is in the middle between the grunts and the High Command. Not a nice place to be.





A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, #1)A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
Ebook, 205 Pages
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


No matter how many times I read this story, it is just as good, if not better each time I read it.

Ged's coming of age story does not get stale, lose its edge of suspense, or in any way diminish with each re-read.

It is just as interesting to me as a mid 30's man as I found it when I first read it in my early teens.

Cannot recommend this book [and the trilogy] enough for anyone who loves fantasy...

1 comment: