Sunday, June 23, 2013

Review: The Rithmatist


The Rithmatist
The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



The first couple of chapters left me feeling "meh", as the main character was not that likable. Then it gelled and became a standard Sanderson book, which being translated, means it was AWESOME!

This is steampunk. I hate steampunk. And Sanderson made me like this book.

Age of reading is definitely a step above the Alcatraz books, but not the full on adult world of say [b:Mistborn: The Final Empire|68428|Mistborn The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)|Brandon Sanderson|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1312038619s/68428.jpg|66322] or even [b:Elantris|68427|Elantris|Brandon Sanderson|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1316637512s/68427.jpg|2908871].

Really cool ideas that are well thought out. Characters were interesting, engaging, true to life [ie, even complete dicks have their good points] and fun.

The plot was twisty, turny with just the right amount of sentiment, hints of young love, pathos and courageous determinism.

The main reason I didn't give this a 5star is because it is the first of a series. Maybe the series will suck later and affect my thoughts on this book. Maybe Sanderson will die partway through book 2. Who knows. So I reserve judgement for that final star...



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment