Monday, July 22, 2013

Review: Dark Force Rising


Dark Force Rising
Dark Force Rising by Timothy Zahn

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



You know, upon re-reading this, it wasn't as great as I remembered when I was in my 'teen/20's.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great Star Wars book [well, with competition like [book:Dark Nest Trilogy (Star Wars)|359773], that doesn't mean QUITE so much]. It is also classic Zahn. I've come to realize that Zahn doesn't do action real well. That is not his strongpoint. Ideas, character interaction and cool ideas are however.

And these aren't NEW anymore. When these came out, Episode 1 hadn't come out. The Clone Wars cartoon didn't exist. There weren't 200+ already written Star Wars books. So this fed the Beast Within. Now? No matter how good a meal is, it ALWAYS tastes better when you are hungry. I'm filled up. The last 20'ish years have seen me glutted, on the good and the bad.

I think that is a good thing because it means that Zahn laid down a foundation that has held up the EU even through some seriously stinky novels [[book:Darksaber|513210], oh my goodness, make me puke RIGHT NOW!].



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment