Monday, July 15, 2013

Review: Ruins


Ruins
Ruins by Orson Scott Card

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



As good as the first book was, I wasn't sure if this book would live up to the premise of the first book, or lead me to a destructive crash like the starships from the first book.

Freaking fantastic. The same things that I liked about the first book are still here in this book. Rational people, figuring out their problems, figuring out WHAT their problems are and then doing something smart about it.

I was in the middle of [b:Wives and Daughters|383206|Wives and Daughters|Elizabeth Gaskell|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348267609s/383206.jpg|816009], and the estrogen floating in that book made my brain boil. So the cool, calm, calculating rationalism in this book was like a cold refreshing drink on a hot humid day. It might not be totally fair to base my rating on THIS book on how I was reacting to another book, but you know what? Anything that bumps UP a book is a good thing in my eyes.

Not that any of the characters in Ruins are perfect, far from it. There is plenty of interpersonal problems, lots of cat fighting [hahahahaha, you'll get just how amusing THAT statement is once you've read the book] and plenty of humanity showing in the group.

The intricacies of the plot, twisted even more so by Card's indepth look at Time Travel, is great. I've really enjoyed this and am looking forward to the rest of the series. I just hope doesn't pull a Jordan and die on us before he finishes the series, because I don't see a Sanderson waiting in the wings to wrap things up.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment