Monday, July 02, 2012

Review: Brain Jack


Brain Jack
Brain Jack by Brian Falkner

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



An AI is born and has the ability to change peoples memories, etc due to a new tech. And it is up to our plucky young hero to save the day

Basically, the author is a complete computer geek and goes into indepth detail [shallow, pointless detail I might add] about how the protagonist does his hacking. TCP this, firewall that, blah blah blah. I like computers and have a passing familiarity with networks, etc, but this was just over the top.

The thing that didn't make sense to me, however, was why wasn't the A.I. more like skynet? Saying that it was in its 'infancy' and hadn't 'learned', that just doesn't scan. It had all the world's knowledge at its digital fingertips and it couldn't figure out how to live in harmony with humans or realize it couldn't and hence pull a Judgement Day?

I explain it simply by saying it is YA and the author didn't want to get too complex. But I think that young people would see that same problem I do. At least, I hope so.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment