Sunday, July 29, 2012

Review: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell


Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



In many ways, I felt like I was reading Dickens or Austen, and that was a good thing!

Then the characters intruded and ruined everything. In either Dickens or Austen, you have a protagonist, who have their faults, but who is essentially someone you want to succeed or cheer for or to cheer on.

Strange & Norrell are both pompous asses, complete idiots and yet I wanted to kill them both. There was no one in this story who I wanted to cheer for.

This was post-modern crap under the guise of historical fantasy. If you enjoyed it, then please support Ms. Clarke in her future endeavors, because I'll not be reading any more of her works...



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment