Sunday, March 17, 2013

Review: Stardoc


Stardoc
Stardoc by S.L. Viehl

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This was on a very quick path to 5Stars.

A young woman is fleeing her home and Earth, as her father, who is a brilliant and controlling surgeon, has her life all planned out for her.
She flees to a small colony to be part of the medical team. A colony made up of mostly non-Terrans, as humans are called. Did I mention that the controlling father is a leader in a Terrans Only group?

So the young daughter begins her work. Lots of adventures, some romance and then a very large catastrophe on an epidemic level. Which proceeds to an even larger personal crisis for our intrepid heroine.

The story ends with some seriously weird info being revealed. Really made me want to rush out and read the next book. But I didn't. For the following reasons.

1)There is one scene where she and her new lover consumate their love. It was explicit and did nothing to make the story better. It was for pure titillation and "sex sells". I was disappointed it had been added, but would have gone on to the next book, if it weren't for the next reason.

2) There is a graphic rape scene. This is what really turned me off from this book. The reasons for why it happened are explained. But the graphicness of it, the reactions of those involved, just made me feel dirty. I had to stop reading for several days before I could go back and finish the story.


So I will be reading the next book at some time in the future, but Viehl is on serious probation. There had better be NOTHING I don't like in the next book for me to continue the series past Book 2.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment