Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Last Unicorn


The Last Unicorn - Peter S. Beagle This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com by express permission of this reviewer.

Synopsis
All the unicorns but 1 have disappeared and she sets out on a journey to find out what happened to them. Along the way she meets up with various characters and has various adventures. And everything good is ripped away, her dreams crushed, her love destroyed, her hopes dashed.

My Thoughts
The ending tries to salve over the horribleness that is the book, but it didn't work for me. So while this technically has a happy ending, it is pretty obvious that Beagle is a product of his generation and is pretty much a sad sack of hopelessness and a person that I wouldn't mind giving a swift kick in the pants to.

While intended or not, while reading this book I felt like Beagle was trying to tear down every hope, dream and wish that makes up fantasy and replace it with his raped, dirty, rat infested vision of reality. I cannot abide those who write to tear down because they cannot have.

This was wonderfully written and almost magically lyrical and I suspect that most who read it will love it. But I am in the minority in that regards. I'll not be reading any more by this author.

Rating: 1 of 5 Stars

Author: Peter Beagle

No comments:

Post a Comment