Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Fortress Frontier (Shadow Ops #2)


Shadow Ops: Fortress Frontier - Myke Cole This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com by express permission of this reviewer

Synopsis
Alan Bookbinder, newly awakened Latent, is sent to the FOB and ends up dealing with the HUGE mess that Oscar Britton made in the first book.

My Thoughts
Ok, I hated the first book Control Point, so much so that I just had to give Myke Cole another chance. This book was twice as good as the previous, and I still hated it, so Myke and I are done.

Thankfully, Bookbinder isn't a complete and utter selfish douchebag like Oscar Britton. He starts out a spineless wimp, but soon is forced to grow one just to survive. I like that, a lot.

But the mess Oscar created when he released the witch ends up in the total destruction of the base and an untold number of deaths of the soldiers based there. Oscar, and Bookbinder, are right that the system needs changing, quickly. But Oscar isn't the one to do it. He's an unreliable dick. And worse, he's so gullible that he puts everyone who trusts him in danger.

If this had been the first book in the series, I might have stuck around, as I found Bookbinder to be the responsible kind even if not confident. I like the idea, which to be honest is really just "X-Men: In Real Life", but not the characters. So I'm not going to spend any more time on this. I gave Cole his second chance and I didn't find it compelling enough. Too little too late.

Rating: 2 of 5 Stars

Author: Myke Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment