Thursday, April 24, 2014

Sphinx: The Second Coming DNF (ARC)


Sphinx: The Second Coming - James Thorton I received this copy from the publisher through Netgalley.com and that in no way has influenced my opinion in regards to this review.

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com by express permission of this reviewer


DNF's don't get to be "synopsized".

2 things stopped me from finishing, much less continuing past 10%.

First, the author bio. Thorton says he is a zen-buddhist priest, but the claims made in the bio are so grandiose, so obviously ego-centric that they directly contravene his first statement. You can't have it both ways.

Second and more importantly, Thorton can't write. The 10% that I read, not one thing was shown, it was told. Sentence structure was choppy, uneven and almost staccato. I felt like I was being machine gunned. I wanted to be finessed into the wonders of old egypt, the sights, the sounds, the smells. But what I read was written with the skill of someone like me. Maybe good for a couple of paragraphs, but not for weaving an entrancing tale.

And I guess that brings me to my 3rd point, even though it is more related to the first point. Thorton is supposed to be a bigwig lawyer. I would have thought a lawyer would have been more familiar and adept with words.

A thoroughly disappointing book that I couldn't finish.

Rating: 1/2 of 5 Stars
Author: James Thorton

No comments:

Post a Comment