Sunday, June 08, 2014

Hidden Empire (Saga of the Seven Suns #1)


Hidden Empire  - Kevin J. Anderson This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com by express permission of this reviewer

Synopsis:
Humanity, allied with an ancient alien race, is spreading out to the stars. Quickly and voraciously.
A much older alien race, which has disappeared, has left behind its civilization, offering tantalizing clues to instantaneous travel and the like.
Humanity uses one of these new tools to create a sun out of a gas giant and in the process discovers another alien race. These new aliens are immeasurably powerful, so much so that they are the ones that completely destroyed the disappeared aliens.

My Thoughts:
I've never been a big fan of Anderson, as I have found him to be a mediocre writer, especially in the Star Wars Expanded Universe.  But I wanted to give him a shot on his own writings, so I figured I'd try this series.

This was chunked up into about 15-20 viewpoints and at first I was worried I was going to have just little snippets from each. But characters die, side characters move up and it is a revolving wheel.

This is a sprawling Saga indeed. Human factions, alien factions [allies, dead and enemies] and robots from the disappeared aliens. It is going to be a fight for survival for humanity for sure.

Overall I enjoyed this book and beginning of the series. Anderson's writing, while not wonderful, was not the juvenile tripe I was mentally preparing myself for.  Hoping the rest of the series bears this beginning out.

Rating: 3 of 5 Stars
Author: Kevin Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment