Friday, June 27, 2014

Where Angels Fear to Tread (Classic)


Where Angels Fear to Tread (Dover Thrift Editions) - E.M. Forster This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com by express permission of this reviewer.

Title: Where Angels Fear to Tread
Series: N/A
Author: E. M. Forster
Rating: 2 of 5 Stars
Genre: Classic

Synopsis:
A stupid widow, neglected by her husband's family who at the same time try to rule her behavior, goes to Italy for some reason or other.
There she falls in love with a young peasant, marries him, has a kid, dies and then the family tries to take the child to have a "proper" upbringing. Nothing good comes of that line of action and in the end nothing good comes of anybody's actions.

My Thoughts
I enjoyed Room with a View. Unfortunately, I hated this book right from the beginning, through the middle and couldn't wait for the end to be over.

I need somebody to cheer for in a book. Just one person. In this book I found every person distasteful and it really seems like Forster did this on purpose to get his point across.

Messed up families, deliberate stupidity, pride, greed, sloth, uncontrolled lust and apathy were what I saw and read about. I am a firm believer in not just showing up bad behavior but also showing what COULD be, ie, good behavior.

So I'm 50/50 with Forster. Not good odds in my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment