Saturday, August 09, 2014

Heart of Darkness (Classic)


Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer.

Title: Heart of Darkness
Series: None
Author: Joseph Conrad
Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
Genre: Classic
Pages: 116


Synopsis:
The narrator of the story, a sailor and steamboat captain, tells a tale about his adventure of rescuing a Company Man in the middle of Africa. Said company man is an ivory hunter and apparently a god with words.

My Thoughts:
I went into this book not expecting to enjoy it and to hate the underlying philosophy. However, the depths of a fallen man were not glorified and the empty hopelessness of it all fits in perfectly with my thoughts on a world that rejects God. It reminded me of Lord of the Flies in that the characters thought that being British was proof against them ever falling into ways they deemed uncivilized.

I enjoyed the writing and thought it was well done and paced fairly well. However, this free kindle edition, which was taken from the project gutenberg site I believe, suffers from a lack of formatting. And that in turn does affect the story and your perception of what is going on.

I'm noticing that many of the free kindle classics suffer from this. I want to go over and download the actual projectgutenberg.com editions to see if it is sloppy volunteer work or something in the conversion process that just buggers things up. I suspect sloppy volunteer work but can't really blame them. Just digitizing is a huge step, much less properly formatting it,  on your own time no less.

And that is all I have to say on that. Just don't feel like trying to dissect or discuss anything else in the book. I've read it, it was a lot better than I thought it would be and now I can forget about it :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment