Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Far from the Madding Crowd


Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: Far from the Madding Crowd
Series: -----
Author: Thomas Hardy
Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
Genre: Classic
Pages: 512



Synopsis:
The Life and Adventures of some farmers in a small English village. Sheep farmers to be specific. And one of them happens to be a beautiful, young woman.

My Thoughts:
When I read Tess of the D'Urbervilles, I developed a great hatred of Hardy's scathing, pedantic tone. So I wasn't looking forward to this, at all.

So imagine my surprise when I ended up loving this. Every flowery description of a back woods bucolic  village. I loved this! The tragedy, the drama, the awesome over the top'ness of it all. The wordsmithing was topnotch and practically made me want to read MORE about sheep dying because they ate clover.

A typical, victorian love story with a happy ending [for some] and a worthy end [for others]. Despite my enjoyment of this book, I won't be reading any more by Hardy. I prefer to go out on a good note with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment