Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Dark Intelligence (Transformation #1) (Polity)

Review:

Dark Intelligence - Neal Asher

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.

 

Title: Dark Intelligence

Series: Transformation, Polity

Author: Neal Asher

Rating: 4.5 of 5 Stars

Genre: SFF

Pages: 416

 

 

 

Synopsis:

Penny Royal, a rogue A.I. that went black after the Human/Prador war, is back. It should be dead.

One man and one woman, working with and against each other and Penny Royal, seek it out to find out what has happened.

But how do you fight an A.I. that can turn you into another creature or change your very memories?

That is what Spear and Satomi must figure out if they want answers to their questions and an end to their quest for vengeance against Penny Royal.

 

My Thoughts:

I love Neal Asher's Polity books. Hard Technology [as opposed to High Fantasy] and ultra-violence all wrapped into a thrill ride where you don't know which way is sideways or how you'll get there.

 

I always know I'll enjoy these books and hence tend to save them. But at some point I just have to start eating and then I enjoy every minute of it.

 

Even though the book is ostensibly about Penny Royal, everything is through the eyes of Spear and Satomi, both whom have been wacked by Penny in one way or another. So it starts out as a Quest for Vengeance type story but as you read along, both Spear and Satomi realize that things don't quite add up. By the end of this book [it is supposed to be a trilogy] it appears that this story is a story of Redemption and making things right.  However, my experience with Asher leads me to believe that the convolutedness of this story is JUST beginning and that I still don't have a clue as to the End Game.

 

I did knock off half a star for the 2 unnecessary sex scenes. They weren't "explicit" but were graphic enough that I thought noting them was necessary.   I also added the "Ultra-Violent" tag, but to be honest, I had to stop and think about it. So I'm either getting jaded or Asher is getting mellow.

 

To end, a really fun book that continues my love affair with Asher's Polity Universe.

Original post: Bookstooge.booklikes.com/post/1182496/dark-intelligence-transformation-1-polity

No comments:

Post a Comment