Thursday, June 11, 2015

The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft

Review:

The New Annotated H. P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft, Leslie S. Klinger, Alan Moore

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.

Title: The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft

Series: -----

Author: H.P. Lovecraft, Leslie Klinger

Rating: 3 of 5 Stars

Genre: Horror

Pages: 1008

 

 

 

Synopsis:

A compendium of Lovecraft's stories with historical, geographical and misc data footnotes to make this a fuller experience.

 

My Thoughts:

First, I found the annotation to be completely useless. Being from New England myself, most of the geographic and historical data wasn't new to me and the bits that weren't, I didn't care about.

There were also pictures of places where stories took place. I don't care to see the "Fuller House, repaired in 1997".

A lot of the historical and literary annotations I knew about as well. I'm just well read and experienced enough that this stuff wasn't for me. I definitely wasn't the target audience for the annotations side of things.

 

Second, the quality of the stories varied so greatly that I wasn't sure what I was getting into from page to page. Some were incredible, some were just complete and utter stinkers. Sometimes I believed the horrorness of the  "unnameable horror" and at other times I was rolling my eyes so hard that my glasses practically jumped off my face.

 

Thirdly, I really wish I had this back in my teen years. I found so many things that other books I've read referenced. It would have made for a much richer reading experience. However, better late than never and I look forward to finding future Lovecraftian influence in the horror books I read.

 

Finally, I don't regret the time I spent on this monster book but I do wish more of the stories had been of higher caliber.

Original post: Bookstooge.booklikes.com/post/1183305/the-new-annotated-h-p-lovecraft

No comments:

Post a Comment