Thursday, July 09, 2015

Blood and Bullets (Deacon Chalk #1)

Review:

Blood and Bullets - James R. Tuck

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.

 

Title: Blood and Bullets

Series: Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter

Author: James Tuck

Rating: 3 of 5 Stars

Genre: Paranormal

Pages: 350

 

 

 

Synopsis:

Deacon Chalk is a haunted man. Vampires killed his family years ago and that set him on the path of so many other Hunters. Deacon rescued an angel and died because of it. Now he has angel essence to help him in his fight.

Today, somebody ambushed Deacon, with 50 vampires.

Deacon doesn't know of anybody, or anything, strong enough to do that!

 

My Thoughts:

This was really a 4 star read for me, except for the following two items.

 

1) The F-word was dropped way more liberally than I was really comfortable with

2) The "almost" sex scenes. I don't need sex thrown in to make a book interesting. Tell me a good adventure story instead.

 

If more paranormal was written like this, I'd probably be reading more of it. I really liked the intro where Deacon name drops a bunch of other fictional vampire hunters. I only got about 1/2 of them, but that was a fun tidbit.

 

Non-stop, adrenalin pumping action. Ambush, rescue and finally, Destruction! Deacon talks a lot and I could see that getting on peoples' nerves, but besides two instances of almost word for word repeat of info [one about guns and the other tattoos], I found it quite bearable. The whole "my wife and kids are dead" angst thing was done just enough but not too much.  I didn't feel like rolling my eyes at it, which means it was done right.

 

I did like the twist about the Wandering Jew and his connection to vampires. The so-called theology was thrown in to explain some stuff but it was so empty that I couldn't even find the "harrumph" to lambast the shallow triteness of it. And the smoking, drinking, womanizing, super killer/exorcist priest is old hat. EVERY vampire hunter knows one of those!

 

Overall, enjoyable with some edges I didn't care for and would cause me to not out right recommend this series. I will be, however, reading the next 2 books in the series. Guess I'll be finding out if this is a trilogy or a series. Oh, and that series name. It is way to long. Just call it Deacon Chalk, kind of like I did *wink*

Original post: Bookstooge.booklikes.com/post/1199036/blood-and-bullets-deacon-chalk-1

No comments:

Post a Comment