Friday, October 02, 2015

The Dragons of Dorcastle (Pillars of Reality #1)

Review:

The Dragons of Dorcastle - Jack Campbell

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.

Title: The Dragons of Dorcastle

Series: Pillars of Reality

Author: Jack Campbell

Rating: of 5 Battle Axes

Genre: SFF

Pages: 336

Format: Kindle

 

 

 

Synopsis:

The Mechanics Guild and the Mages Guild have run of the known world. And they hate each other and teach their acolytes to act as if the other guild is nothing but a fraud.

So what happens when a young Mage and a young Mechanic have to rely on each other to survive? Why, this excellent story is what happens.

 

My Thoughts:

I really like Jack Campbell's SF. So I wasn't sure what to expect when I realized he'd started another series that was SF, Fantasy, Steampunk'ish and YA.  I went into this with almost zero expectations of enjoying it and not a little trepidation.

 

Thankfully, I enjoyed myself immensely.

 

A lot of adventure, a lot of action, lots of hints about big bad things in the Future and a nice little bit of teens falling in love for the first time. That can be real nice if handled with a deft hand and not with buckets of emotional slop.

 

I'd really like to write more because I had such a fun time reading this. But honestly, I don't feel the need to express WHY I enjoyed something. I simply note that I did enjoy it. Now, the opposite isn't true. If I don't enjoy something, there is a much better chance of me detailing the WHY of that.  I know part of it is that I don't need to remember why I liked a book, just that I did. I do like to know why I didn't like a book however, as in most cases in 10 or 15 years I forget what the book was about and if the premise sounds interesting, I need to know why not to try it again. Sometimes my mind is a funny place.

 

Looking forward to the already written sequel already.

Original post: Bookstooge.booklikes.com/post/1264003/the-dragons-of-dorcastle-pillars-of-reality-1

No comments:

Post a Comment