Saturday, January 09, 2016

Fledgling (Liaden)


Fledgling (Theo Waitley, #1) (Liaden Universe, #12) - Steve Miller, Sharon Lee This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.  wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: Fledgling
Series: Liaden
Author: Sharon Lee & Steve Miller
Rating:   of 5 Battle Axes
Genre: SFF
Pages: 528
Format: Kindle




Synopsis:
Daav yos'Phelium is on Delgado in his Jen Sar Kiladi persona. And he's "married" with a 14 year old daughter.
This book is not about him.
It is about Theo, his daughter. And the politic'ing on a world full of eggheads who have no grasp on reality. This is about Theo growing up into her, unknown to her, Liaden heritage and piloting skills inherited from Daav.

My Thoughts:
I accidentally started Ghost Ship before this, which is 2 or 3 books ahead of this. And it wasn't until I was at the 50% mark that I realized my mistake. Hence, a lot of what happened in this book was slightly referenced in Ghost Ship and I had pretty good idea of what was going to happen.

And I still enjoyed it. Not as much as the other Liaden books, as it is dealing with a 14 year old girl and the politics of scholars but it was still enjoyable. It was also good writing. I know it was good writing because it got me extremely frustrated, in several instances, at several of the characters and how they reacted. I am learning to enjoy moments like that because it shows that the authors know how to present a society, a character and their interaction. And that interaction isn't always smooth, happy or rational.

By the end I was glad I had read this and was ready for more Theo Waitely, soon to be Pilot.

No comments:

Post a Comment