Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Shadows of Self (Mistborn #5)


Shadows of Self - Brandon Sanderson This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: Shadows of Self
Series: Mistborn
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Rating:         of 5 Battle Axes
Genre: SFF
Pages: 384
Format: Kindle




Synopsis:
Waxillium, otherwise known as Wax and his trusty pardner Wayne, are now city slickers and special deputized lawmen.
Only things aren't going so well in the Big City. "God" seems to have made life just a tad bit too easy for humanity and one of the "angels" has taken exception to that.
So Wax must stop an insane angel AND figure out if god is worth following after all.

My Thoughts:
This was a good book. It was exciting, it was tragic, it was funny, it was sad, it was light and it was very philosophical.
It was everything I expected from Brandon Sanderson.

It has been almost 4 years since I read Alloy of Law and to be honest, it was a tad confusing getting back into things. I remembered Wax and Wayne, but everyone else? It was like brand new characters. Thankfully, the next book in this second Mistborn trilogy is coming out next week and I plan on reading it first thing in February. That way there will be no lag time. But I was able to get past all that and get into the story.

I've also been reading The Many Faces of Evil and it fit right alongside of this very well. One of the main characters from the previous trilogy is now god and Wax has to decide if he is really worth following and obeying.  This book went a lot deeper than I was expecting and I really liked it. I've struggled with the issue of evil and god ever since I was a teen and while this story doesn't even try to answer it, just the fact that a contemporary of mine is asking the same questions is heartening.

I also like seeing more mistborn ability in a modern setting. It shows Sanderson's imagination and ability as an author. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment