Saturday, January 02, 2016

The Death of Dulgath (Riyria Chronicles #3)


The Death of Dulgath - Michael J. Sullivan This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: The Death of Dulgath
Series: Riyria Chronicles
Author: Michael Sullivan
Rating:  of 5 Stars
Genre: SFF
Pages: 432








Synopsis:
Royce and Hadrian are almost broke. So they take a job. A job that entails planning an assassination of the Lady Dulgath so that her security can prevent just such an assassination.
Of course, it being Royce and Hadrian, things don't go quite according to plan.

My Thoughts:
Exhibit Number One:


As soon as I read that the Lady Dulgath's name was Nysa, I immediately suspected some things and was right. I just hadn't suspected ALL the things and Sullivan did a good job of tipping me over.

This was fun. It was also VERY informative. I had not realized that Royce didn't know of his Elven heritage and so that revelation came as quite the shocker to him.  Just like all the other Riyria books, this was just a romp. It doesn't try to be all epic and weighty and that is good as Sullivan's style doesn't lean in that direction.

However, he sure is a great storyteller! I wish I had more to say about the actual story, but I don't. You'll either like this or you won't.

I was one of the backers that got this booked created on Kickstarter. I own all the Riyria books in hardcover and wanted this one as well. So I put my money where my mouth was. As did over 1800 people. And now I'm famous. Well, maybe not famous, but "Bookstooge" is one of the backers listed in the book at the end.
I also really enjoyed the fact that Sullivan included the first chapter of his new series coming out later this year. It is a prequel series set some 1000-3000 years before the Riyria books and deals with the Empire of Man coming into being and throwing off their Elven gods. I'm sure that Novron's beginning, one of the main splinter gods in the Riyria books, will be shown with some sort of twist.

I would like more of Royce and Hadrian. Preferably 3 more novels in the Chronicles series to match the 6 of the Revelations. Sullivan has not ruled out such but also hasn't made any promises. Smart man.

No comments:

Post a Comment