Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Magebane


Magebane - Lee Arthur Chane This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: Magebane
Series: -----
Author: Lee Chane
Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: SFF
Pages: 496
Format: Kindle








Synopsis: Spoilers Ahead, mateys!
A young man gets involved with a scientist, who is intent on proving that the impenetrable "Barrier" can be flown over. Unbeknownst to them, said barrier protects a society of mages, who separated themselves from the world 800 years ago.
One mage wants to bring the barrier down and will use the young man to further his aims of world domination. But a mythical being known as the Magebane might end things before they even get going.

Is Magic or Technology greater? That is the question.
But when the magic is limited and the bullets aren't, I think that is a rhetorical question indeed.

My Thoughts:
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Most of the action actually takes place inside the barrier and the young man who we are first introduced to is NOT the magebane. That was why I knocked off a half star. I just didn't like that. The magebane is the prince of the mage society and he is a created being. It completely made sense, but I'd of rather had the outsider be the magebane.

With that being said, most of the action revolves around the prince, the young outsider and a girl who is the ward of the mage who wants to rule the world. Near the end there was a hint of a romance triangle, but thankfully that was squashed faster than a fly. There was a lot of the internal issues of the mage kingdom and the Rebellion and the infighting of the mages themselves. Very little of the outside world. At the end the young man comes back with guns and does some damage from his airship and THAT was what I was expecting from the get go, not as the end.

I was going to say that I searched out all of Chanes' other books, but since it appears he writes as several people [and I'm not even sure if Chane is yet another cover], I think I'll pass. I don't need to waste time because some author has a complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment