Sunday, June 12, 2016

Chaos Unleashed (The Chaos Born #3)


Chaos Unleashed - Drew Karpyshyn This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: Chaos Unleashed
Series: The Chaos Born
Author: Drew Karpyshyn
Rating: 2.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 418
Format: Kindle digital edition








Synopsis:

The 4 Chosen Children of Chaos all work together to stop Daemron from destroying Legacy.
A book filled with Heroic mediocrity where everything is scripted out well in advance and you know how the story ends.
Girl that no one know what to do with, heroic sacrifice. Check
Boy and Girl who hate each other but love each other, get together. Check
Dispossessed Prince, with Barbarian Babe, decides to wander the world. Check.
Bad Guy loses. Dies at hands of vengeful minions. Check

My Thoughts:

If this had been a Forgotten Realms book, I might have given it 3 Stars. But because Karpyshyn supposedly came up with, and executed [ha, that is WAY to appropriate], this series on his own, there is no mercy.

This was rubbish. It was cliched, hackneyed ideas coupled with extremely mediocre writing that wasn't tense, brilliant, original or even greatly entertaining. It just "was". As I was reading along, I was actually embarrassed for Karpyshyn for writing this. I've enjoyed most of his other books in other Universes [Star Wars, Forgotten Realms, etc] and I could put anything I found dumb down to the universe and not him. But this? All I could think was "This is the best he can imagine?" I really hope he goes back to and stays with, other pre-created universes.

My other gripe was how the 4 Chosen worked AGAINST Daemron even though they were spawned directly from his own magic/life essence.  It just didn't ring true for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment