Wednesday, July 27, 2016

The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage #2)


The Crimson Campaign  - Brian  McClellan This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: The Crimson Campaign
Series: Powder Mage
Author: Brian McClellan
Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 628
Format: Kindle digital edition








Synopsis: Spoilers Ahead

Tamas is trapped behind enemy lines and must make his way back, all the while dodging the enemy and not knowing of Taniel is alive or not.
Adramat is desperately trying to find his missing wife and son. In the process, he uncovers an elite academy graduate who is wreaking havoc in Adopest. He must rescue one of the former Cabal, the only one powerful enough to face the graduate.
Taniel is on the front lines. But there is a traitor among the generals and that traitor wants Taniel dead. And Kresimir isn't dead.
And now he's not only pissed, but he's probably insane from the bullet in his head.

Good times for everyone.


My Thoughts:

While I enjoyed the first book, it has taken me over 2 years to work up the "oomph" to actually go through the trouble to borrow the next 2. This is flintlock fantasy, and as such, it is grim, dirty and violent. And just like the first book, it is excellently written.

I have to admit, I had a hard time dealing with the 3 different viewpoints of men all having lots of T's, D's and A's in their name. I found myself having to concentrate to make sure I knew who I was reading about.

I'd like to say more, but honestly, the same apathy that I felt after the first book is still in place. I liked the story, the writing was good, but it just didn't do it for me. I suspect that I'll feel the same about the next and final book, no matter how good it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment