Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Border


The Border - Robert R. McCammon This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: The Border
Series: ------
Author: Robert McCammon
Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: SF
Pages: 456
Format: Kindle digital edition








Synopsis:

Aliens are fighting an inscrutable war and Earth is on the border. Earth is trashed, becoming more trashed by the week, humanity is  being changed by the effects of the dead aliens and the pollution of their tech and things are truly hopeless.

We follow Ethan, a young man with amnesia and a small group of survivors as they leave their dwellings based on a feeling by Ethan. He is convinced that he can stop the war even while not knowing how he knows that.


My Thoughts:

This was my first McCammon. The tone was not at all what I was expecting which turned out to be ok. It didn't "feel" like a SF book. It had all the elements and definitely was but it had as much emphasis on the characters themselves as on the story and the action. That was what was different. It wasn't character development, mind you, it was just a story about people fighting off despair and hopelessness [and losing in most cases] inside their own minds.

The ending seemed a bit convenient but it didn't bother me at all. It made sense within the story and was forecast from the first time one of the characters gave up in despair because even if the aliens left that minute, the effects of them would still wipe out what was left of earth.

Also, McCammon's infatuation with the U.N. and their "peace keepers" made me want to gag. Blue hats are some of the most corrupt forces on this planet. I'll know it is truly the End of Days when they step foot in my State and I don't try to shoot them.

Ahem, moving on.

Overall, I enjoyed this. It gave me a taste of McCammon and at some point I'll probably look up other books by him. But I have no desire to rush out and get everything by him, AT THIS MOMENT! Which, to be honest, is kind of what I was hoping for. If anyone has read more by him, please feel free to suggest some more of his in the comments. I'm always good with cherry picking from an author.
`

No comments:

Post a Comment