Sunday, September 04, 2016

The Endless Knot (Song of Albion #3) (Audio)


The Endless Knot - Robert Whitfield, Stephen R. Lawhead This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes. blogspot.wordpress.com by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: The Endless Knot
Series: Song of Albion
Author: Stephen Lawhead
Narrator: Robert Whitfield
Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Fantasy
Minutes: 740
Format: Audio Book edition







Synopsis: Spoilers

Lhew Silverhand reigns in Albion. But his and Cynan's wives are abducted and against the wishes of his Bard, Lhew and Crew head to the cursed land to mount a rescue.
Lots of bad things happen in the Cursed Land and eventually Lhew comes face to face with Simon, who surprise, surprise, didn't die. Instead, Simon is now looting the Other World and sending it all back to our world, which puts both worlds at risk of dissolution.
Simon kills Lhew, takes the Stones of Albion for himself and then the stones kill all the badguys and remake the Cursed Land back into what it was supposed to be.
Lewis wakes up in our world and with the help of Susanna, begins to record his memories.


My Thoughts:

I remembered the beginning of this book and the end, but absolutely NOTHING in the middle. So the whole journey/adventure in the Cursed Land was akin to reading a whole new story.

The narrator was different from the previous 2 books and I didn't particularly care for his pronunciation of certain words. Biggest one was the henchmen Palladyr. In the previous book, and in my head, it was pronounced "Palla Deer". This new narrator pronounced it "Pa Ladder".  A change of emphasis on syllables, but it is still annoying.

Listening to this, Lewis comes across as a whiny, selfish man. I really want to read the books again to see if that comes through in the writing or if it just the take I get from the audio because I don't remember him being that way at all when I read this 16 years ago.

Overall, I liked the story but I did not like the narrator having his way with the words I was listening to.  I am going to try another trilogy of audio books because I really like filling in that 20min gap to and from work, but if the next audio experiment falls flat, I'm just going to give up on the format.
`

No comments:

Post a Comment