Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (The Dark Knight Saga #1)


This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot, Booklikes & Librarything by  Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission.
Title: Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Series: The Dark Knight Saga #1
Author: Frank Miller, et al
Rating: 2.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Comic
Pages: 224
Format: Paperback






Synopsis: Spoilers

Batman has retired, all of the other superheroes have been forced into retirement by Superman, who is now a secret stooge of the United States Government.
But with Gotham getting worse and worse, Batman comes back. Lots of things happen, the Russians nuke a south american ally of the United States and Superman kills Batman, who has in turn killed the Joker. Except obviously Batman doesn't die but goes on to become the worlds biggest boyscout to a bunch of misfits. Oh the irony.


My Thoughts: 

If you're not a fan of Reagan, you might like this more. If you're not a fan of Superman, you might like this more.

I own this and have read it before, but never logged it or reviewed it. I remembered up through part II where Batman takes down a gang leader to stop them from taking over Gotham. Everything else I did not remember.

There is a reason I blacked it out.

Superman being a collaborator to shut down super powered heroes. I didn't buy it for a minute. Superman being stupid enough to detonate a nuclear missile in the earth's atmosphere. I didn't buy that for a minute. If this had just been about an old Batman, I would have bought that a lot more. But screw Miller. You don't mess with my Superman.

I also apparently own the sequel, The Dark Knight Strikes Again. I'm already dreading it. If it's like this one, I'll be looking into giving these away somehow.

Also, this is the first comic where it is apparent that I'm getting old. I had to take OFF my glasses several times and bring the book close to read the bloody text. There were quite a few times where the text was very squiggly, cursive'y, irregular and it made it bloody hard to read. Goodness, I'm in fine fettle with this book.

I'm being very generous with my star rating here. If I was just judging this on enjoyment alone, it would have gotten a HALF star.

No comments:

Post a Comment