Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Dreams of Distant Shores ★★★★☆


This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot,  Booklikes & Librarything and linked at Goodreads & Mobileread by  Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission
 Title:        Dreams of Distant Shores
 Series:      ----------
 Author:   Patricia McKillip
 Rating:    4 of 5 Stars
 Genre:     Fantasy
 Pages:      290
 Format:   Digital Edition





Synopsis:

A collection of short stories and a novella showcasing McKillip's writing style and preferred story content.




My Thoughts:

The majority of this book is taken up with the novella, Something Rich and Strange. I read that back in '05 and wasn't very impressed then and this time around nothing improved. That is the reason for the 1 Star deduction.

Now, the rest of the stories, they were excellent. They were what I EXPECT from McKillip. My favorite was about an artist who draws the Gorgon's mouth and it becomes his muse, until it convinces him to fall in love with a real life girl who then becomes his true muse. Not being an artsy guy myself, most of the time I poo-poo stories dealing with art. However, this story, appropriately entitled The Gorgon in the Cupboard, drew me in and made the artist character sympathetic enough that even I was able to like him. The counter-story about the woman who becomes his muse, is poignantly sad and heartwrenching and provides a sad canvas upon which a happy story is drawn.

The Forward by Peter Beagle I could have done without. I am not a fan of Beagle, so his musings on meeting McKillip at various times came across as self-serving and very faux-humble.

If I ever read this again, I'll just skip the novella and concentrate on the short stories.

★★★★☆







No comments:

Post a Comment