Friday, November 09, 2018

A Rare Benedictine (Brother Cadfael #21) ★★★☆☆


This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot & Librarything by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission

Title: A Rare Benedictine
Series: Brother Cadfael #21
Author: Ellis Peters
Rating: 3 of 5 Stars
Genre: Medieval Mystery
Pages: 130
Format: Digital Edition





Synopsis:

3 short stories. One about how Cadfael chose to become a monk and then 2 that were referenced in other books but never fleshed out.



My Thoughts:

Apparently, the previous book, Brother Cadfael's Penance, was the “real” final book in the series. I kind of wish I had known that going in to this book so I wasn't constantly looking for a series wrapup.

This was just a series of short stories about Cadfael. Beyond the first one where we find out just how Cadfael becomes a monk, the other stories felt extremely familiar, almost like re-treads. Nothing bad but nothing really good either. Decent reads is what I'd qualify it as.

I felt very “whatever” at the end of the book and am glad I'm done with Cadfael. Between this and the bomb that P.D. James turned out to be, I think I'm done with any sort of “mystery” genre or sub-genre for quite some time.

★★★☆☆







No comments:

Post a Comment