Monday, April 08, 2013

Review: The Daylight War


The Daylight War
The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



I absolutely loved [b:The Warded Man|3428935|The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)|Peter V. Brett|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1354571949s/3428935.jpg|6589794] and really enjoyed [b:The Desert Spear|6736971|The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)|Peter V. Brett|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320389818s/6736971.jpg|6527274]. However, the Krasian culture turned me off, so I went into this read with some real trepidation, but determined to enjoy it.

I almost stopped right at the beginning as we get the backstory of Inevera, Jardir's first wife. We get the seamy side of the Krasian culture rubbed into our faces, in a very smelly, graphic way.

Then the story switches to "present" time and back to Arlen and I enjoyed that.

Then we have a back and forth between The Desert Spear and Cutter's Hollow. The contrast made my disgust all the more intense.

Lots of graphicness when it comes to sex in this novel. It didn't add anything and left me feeling dirty. The training of the dama'ting, Leesha and Jardir's relationship, Jardir and Inevera's relationship, Leesha and others, Fiddle-man [I can't even remember his name] and his two wives. The merchant friend of Jardir who's wives, daughters and servants are raped by another warrior.

Every time I felt like I was getting into the plot [and I enjoyed the story overall], something came along and pulled me out of it.

I don't want to read about a culture of the Strong preying on the Weak. I read enough of that in the news. Rule of Law, of Equality for all, this is the goal I want to read about.

And then the ending! When Arlen and Jardir go over the cliff, and the book ends?. NO THANKYOU! What a cliffhanger.

Due to this book, I'll be getting rid of my hardcovers of the first 2 books and no longer recommend this series and author to anyone I know. Which is hard, because I thought [b:The Warded Man|3428935|The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)|Peter V. Brett|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1354571949s/3428935.jpg|6589794] was SO fantastic. Now I am sad...



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment