Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables) (Classic)


Rilla of Ingleside - Lucy Maud Montgomery This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com by express permission of this reviewer

Synopsis
This follows Anne's youngest daughter, Marilla [affectionately known as Rilla], as she experiences growing up during World War I.

My Thoughts
I enjoyed Anne of Green Gables more than any book of its type. So when I saw a glowing review of Rilla, I thought "I have to read this".

Sadly, I didn't find this nearly as engaging, delightful and wonderful as AoGG. Part of that is because this takes place during World War I. Montgomery does a splendid job of showing the loss of innocence, for Rilla, for Canada and for the whole World.

Rilla has to deal with her brothers leaving, dying, her first love, raising a war orphan, seeing her parents as human. She takes it well and in stride, but you can tell from her journal entries that it is taking its toll.And while Rilla isn't as feisty or as lively as Anne was, she doesn't get down either.

It was very odd seeing Anne as "Mrs Blythe".

Overall, I don't think I'll be reading any more by Montgomery.

Rating: 3 of 5 Stars
Author: Lucy Montgomery

No comments:

Post a Comment