Sunday, June 07, 2015

Visitors (Pathfinder #3)

Review:

Visitors - Orson Scott Card

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.

 

Title: Visitors

Series: Pathfinder

Author: Orson Scott Card

Rating: 4.5 of 5 Stars

Genre: SFF

Pages: 609

 

 

 

Synopsis:

Rigg, Noxon, Umbo and the others all do their own things to try to save the planet Garden.

Noxon returns to earth. Rigg and Umbo try to save one of the Walls and set things up for yet another wall and the facemask'ers.

Time and Causality bend, change, trade places and generally act in such a way that I am thankful we humans don't have to deal with those actions and their consequences.

 

My Thoughts:

It has been 2 years since I read Ruin but to be honest, it feels like 2 months ago. I knocked off a half-star because I'm not sure how these books overall will stand up to re-reads.

 

Some of the other reviews I'd read stated that the readers were disappointed in the ending and so I was not really excited about this. Thankfully, this was on the same level as the previous 2 books, finishes the trilogy very nicely and still gave me lots of action and rationalistic beings acting rational.

 

Thank goodness.

 

Card put a lot of thought into the exigencies of time travel and how it would work AND what the moral implications of such would be. Like I said about the other books, this was a cool rush of cold water. Especially when I see all the crap out there about teens and romances and such. I want to scream out "Use your brains!!!" but obviously the characters in aforementioned books can't do such, because their authors aren't using theirs.

 

And if you're thinking that is slam, it certainly is.

 

A lot of ideas from Ender's Game are present, such as genocide, right and wrong, absolutes vs morals of the moment, etc. Also, if you're expecting tense expectation, forget it. We're dealing with multiple time travelers here, all of who want the same thing and are working towards the same goal.

 

Overall, I enjoyed this trilogy, am glad I bought them in hardcover and am glad that Card can still write some good stuff.

Original post: Bookstooge.booklikes.com/post/1181400/visitors-pathfinder-3

No comments:

Post a Comment