Saturday, August 29, 2015

The Age of Innocence (Classic)

Review:

The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton, Maureen Howard

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.

 

Title: The Age of Innocence

Series: ------

Author: Edith Wharton

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars

Genre: Classic

Pages: 305

 

 

 

Synopsis:

Newland Archer marries one woman while loving another. And while the ending isn't a horrible double murder/suicide, [ha] it is just as empty and meaningless.

 

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed reading this. Wharton was a master wordsmith and her skill at weaving a story together just kept me tied to the pages.

Each weekend that I'd read my allotted 25% was something that I looked forward to. It has been awhile since I've had a book like this.

 

With that being said...

 

This has to be one of the saddest, emptiest books I've read in quite some time as well. Newland is tied down with Convention, hoisted up on a cross of Ideals, that are based on Nothing.  There is nothing worse than Empty Ideals. It is like seeing someone wrapped in chains and being thrown into a pool of piranhas.  One little difference and those Empty Ideals can be Ideals and those chains can become Life Lines, offering escape from those piranhas.

 

Bleh.

 

As much as I enjoyed this, I don't think I'll be reading any more by Wharton. I do not want to fill my Mind with this depressing stuff. I also know I used a lot of Caps. I'm just in that kind of mood right now.

I could write a lot about this book, but you know what? I don't want to. The above encapsulates everything I need to know so in 10 years I can remember why I didn't read anymore of Wharton.

 

I still recommend this book. Weird, isn't it?

Original post: Bookstooge.booklikes.com/post/1241325/the-age-of-innocence-classic

No comments:

Post a Comment