Friday, January 08, 2016

Day Watch (Night Watch #2)


Day Watch - Sergei Lukyanenko This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: Day Watch
Series: Night Watch
Author: Sergei Lukyanenko
Rating:   of 5 Battle Axes
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pages: 480
Format: Kindle




Synopsis:
3 interconnected stories centered around a game being played between Geser and Zabulon with some very long consequences for both the Light and the Dark.
And the Inquisition is showcased a bit more.

My Thoughts:
Whereas the first book, Night Watch, dragged me all over the place, this one simply left me feeling deliciously melancholy for the whole book without feeling depressed. That is a rare thing and something I treasure. The Elric of Melnibone series accomplished the same feat, but at its heart it is just an action story. Here we have a story of Dualism and how it affects those who are in the fray.

The stories were interesting but I gave no thought to trying to figure out what game Geser and Zabulon [the leaders of the Light and the Dark in Moscow, respectively] were playing. I simply sat back and let the words sweep me away. One of the things I didn't like was that Lukyanenko used a lot of song lyrics in this and I'm sure they either tied into the story or if one knew of Russian pop culture, would have been much more meaningful. I simply skipped them and didn't feel like I'd missed a thing.

One of the things that got my back up in the previous book was how Dualistic it was. This was even more so, but it showed the inevitable consequences of believing in Dualism, in just about any form and hence defeated itself, philosophically speaking. It also made me thankful for a God who isn't just some nameless force schlepping around in the background.

I had watched both movies, Night Watch & Day Watch, after reading Night Watch and was a little afraid that I might have spoiled the book for myself. Nothing doing. The movie and the book don't appear to be related at all. However, if I see certain plot points in future books, I'll know they just crammed in things from them into the movie Day Watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment