Saturday, April 16, 2016

Kingfisher


Kingfisher - Patricia A. McKillip This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: Kingfisher
Series: -----
Author: Patricia McKillip
Rating: 4.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 352
Format: Kindle Digital Editions




 


Synopsis:
A fairy tale taking place in a modern world similar to Maine. Magic, motorcycles and cooking all collide.
A young cook, a young bastard prince and an evil rogue magician king duel it out for this world's version of the Holy Grail. And because it is McKillip, it is like reading a dream, a wonderful silky dream.

My Thoughts:
I read McKillip's last book, Bards of Bone Plain, back in '11. She had moved from a fantasy era to a 1920'ish style of era while keeping the magic. In Kingfisher she moves on to a fully modern world. Cell phones, motorcycles, personal lasers [!] and limos abound. But McKillip, in her inestimable way, weaves it effortlessly into a magic fairytale dealing with King Arthur, his knights [on motorcycles no less] and the Holy Grail.

There is nothing new in this book that will draw you to McKillip if you don't already like her style. If you do like her lyrical poetry, then this offers more of the same. I was mesmerized, after I got into the rhythm of her writing, and was quite surprised when I looked down and saw I had read 95% of the book. That was a good "surprised", just to be clear.

I like her writing, I like her stories and so I don't have much else to say. This did make me want to re-read all the other stuff of hers that I read years ago. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment