Sunday, May 29, 2016

Bleak Seasons (The Chronicles of the Black Company #7) 3...


Bleak Seasons - Glen Cook This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: Bleak Seasons
Series: The Chronicles of the Black Company
Author: Glen Cook
Rating: 3 of 5 Stars
Genre: SFF
Pages: 317
Format: Kindle Digital Edition








Synopsis:

Taking place mostly concurrently with the previous book, Dreams of Steel, we follow Murgen, the standardbearer, as he tries to keep the Old Crew alive in the besieged town. All the while he is having spells that throw him into the past and into the future but he can never remember anything from them.

My Thoughts:

This was confusing as all get out. While Cook has the writing skills to pull it off, I still didn't like it. Going from present to past to future to simply 'now' [which might be any of the 3] made for a very distracting read.

While I liked Murgen, I am not so much a fan of what Croaker, now the Captain, is becoming. Which is Cook's goal I believe. Can't have anyone becoming too heroic and hence possibly be a hero. Heaven forbid.

I am invested enough in the series that a book like this doesn't throw me off but I have to admit, I am sick to death of books that try to yank my chain in one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment