Friday, November 25, 2016

Superman: Doomed (Superman)

Superman: Doomed - Aaron Kuder, Charles Soule, Greg PakThis review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes. blogspot.wordpress.com
Title: Superman: Doomed
Series: Superman
Author/Artist: Greg Pak, et al
Rating: 2 of 5 Stars
Genre: Comics
Pages: 544
Format: Paper graphic novel









Synopsis:

Taking place in the New52 timeline. Doomsday has been kept in the Phantom Zone and somehow is allowed out by somebody. He is literal poison to the world and his very presence kills. Superman tears him in half, gets infected and begins a battle with Doomsday over who will control his body. And it all turns out to be a masterplan by Brainiac to get control of everyone's minds so he can "change the perception of the universe" and hence, change the universe. Because he misses his dead wife and son. Who he killed.

Yeah...

My Thoughts:

This was first foray into the New52 reboot universe and I didn't like it. It also relied on the reader knowing the storyline from Reign of Doomsday. At least to explain why Doomsday is still around. Goodness, I hate these reboots.

This was a very messy read for me. The characters I knew were suddenly completely different. Superman and Wonderwoman? Superman and Lois Lane are just friends, not married? I felt like I was reading one huge Elseworlds storyline. Sadly, I wasn't and this is where things are.

This is a big, glossy book with some gorgeous art. Unfortunately, I had a hard time reading the text and trying to follow the action. There were so few panels used that I had to guess where I was supposed to look next to follow what was happening on ONE SINGLE PAGE. And half the time I couldn't tell if I was looking at a 2 page spread meant as one, or if I was actually supposed to read it as 2 pages. 

The storyline itself just went all over the place and made me wonder WHO was in control at the helm of this idea. Superman and Doomsday argue with each other, Clarke gets angsty, Supes and Wonderwoman are all lovey dovey while making promises of mutual destruction, Brainiac is putting the whole world in a coma while whining about his dead family and there is so much more. It wasn't a clear, concise storyline. It was a soup with about 67 different cooks all trying to make it "their way".

It took me 6 months to finally finish this. I just didn't want to read about it. If this had been from the library I probably would have abandoned it very near the beginning. However, I bought this in February so I was going to get my money's worth, even if I had to suffer for every page of it. Yankee thrift and all that.

I could probably write a bunch more but it would just be more complaints. To end, I didn't like this, I didn't like my foray into the New52 and it will be quite some time before I try out new comics again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment