Sunday, August 27, 2017

Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles #4) ★★★★☆


This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot, Librarything & Tumblr by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission
 Title: Talking to Dragons
 Series: Enchanted Forest Chronicles #4
 Author: Patricia Wrede
 Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
 Genre: SFF
 Pages: 272
 Format: Digital Edition





Synopsis:

Daystar discovers a wizard spying on his mom. His mom promptly melts the wizard, heads off into the Enchanted Forest and comes back with a sword. She hands the sword to Daystar and tells him to seek his fortune in the Enchanted Forest.

So, being a good son, Daystar does. He meets Shiara, a flame witch who can't control her powers and a young dragon who is out proving just how grown up it actually is. All the while all of them are being chased by wizards for various reasons.

They have adventures, meet the dragons, rescue Daystar's dad, have a battle with the wizards and then settle down to live happily ever after.

Sometimes it is good to find out you are the Prince of the Enchanted Forest.



My Thoughts:

What a cute book. I was wondering, near the beginning, WHY Cimorene wouldn't tell Daystar anything, but that gets explained.

Daystar is very polite to everyone he meets and that nets him more than he loses over the course of the book. I also liked how the adults in the book are competent adults and not stupid idiots. Well, except for the wizards but since they are the badguys, that is expected.

The first time I read these Chronicles I read an omnibus edition with all 4 books together. I think that was a bit too much. The childish nature of the humor, while wonderful, would wear rather thin right in a row for an adult. So I think I enjoyed my reading of these more this time around. I was able to enjoy each story on its own without rushing through them all and getting overloaded on cuteness and middle grade humor.

These books just cement the idea in my mind that Wrede is another wonderful author who has talent and discretion and that I am lucky to have found her books. I am also thankful that she's never gone into the PNR direction or love triangle, angsty YA direction. Because, she's a real author.

★★★★☆





No comments:

Post a Comment