Friday, December 27, 2013

The Knight (The Wizard Knight #1)


The Knight: Book One of The Wizard Knight - Gene Wolfe This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions.
Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com by express permission of this reviewer.


Synopsis
A young boy from our world is transported to fairyland, then to another world. Once there, he meets a fairy goddess who grows him up overnight. His various adventures while trying to be a knight and refind his fairy love.

My Thoughts
While I enjoyed the writing and story [having read Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun and thought it was pure trash, this was a delightful surprise], something just seemed off-putting about how the narrative jumped around.

I haven't read any other reviews, so I haven't been influenced that way, but to be honest, my first thought was that the main character was autistic. I still think so.
There was a lot of the "boyish" in the character, which is to be expected as he is supposed to be 12 or 16 or something until he's magically "adult'ed" and I found that rather charming. But the timelessness, the odd hesitancies, the complete and utter honesty, the vagaries, it was different enough that it made me feel slightly uncomfortable.

The whole world was engaging. From the various levels of reality, the monsters, the fairies, the side characters good and bad,the giant mystery dog, it all was interesting and well constructed.

I am looking forward to reading the sequel, The Wizard, very soon.

Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars

Author: Gene Wolfe

No comments:

Post a Comment