Thursday, July 03, 2014

The Twelve (The Passage #2)


The Twelve - Justin Cronin This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com by express permission of this reviewer.

Title: The Twelve
Series: The Passage
Author: Justin Cronin
Rating: 3 of 5 Stars
Genre: Urban Fantasy

Synopsis:
The post-apocalyptic world continues, as well as stories about the fall.
All of the Twelve, along with Amy, meet up for the next step in their growth. Only this has been planned for and the rebellion takes advantage of it.
Which leaves only Amy and Zero as representatives of the Vampire race.

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this a bit more than The Passage, as I didn't find the middle half boring, but I was very frustrated with Cronin's introducing large groups of characters only to throw them away a chapter later, or to write 5 chapters about them and only  make it tangentially related.
Lots and lots of little side rabbit trails.

The pseudo-religiosity also got on my nerves as well. It was forced and even more damning, it FELT forced.

And like I had written in my update, I kept getting this mixed up with del Toro and Hogan's The Strain trilogy. I mean, how different can "vampires because of some plague-type thing" be anyway? It is all the same in my mind.

I'll finish the next book, but if this goes on longer than a 3rd book, then I'll be done. This just confirms that while I loved Dracula, vampires do something to authors that make their books unpalatable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment