Friday, August 08, 2014

Die Trying (Jack Reacher #2)


Die Trying  - Lee Child This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer.

Title: Die Trying
Series: Jack Reacher
Author: Lee Child
Rating: 3 of 5 Stars
Genre: Thriller
Pages: 434


Synopsis:
Jack is at the wrong place at the wrong time, gets kidnapped and ends up saving the nation from a megalomaniac who wants to carve his own nation out of Utah or some place and set off a huge bomb in California.

My Thoughts:
There was no tension in this book. You know from the beginning that Reacher will do ultra-violent things and come out the other side and that other people will die.

This reached disturbing levels of violence. The books starts out with a sentence something like this:
His abdominals ruptured under the first punch...

There were a couple of times where I just shuddered and had to ask myself if I really wanted to read something like this. I like violence, hence my penchant for series like Mack Bolan the Executioner and Neal Asher's Polity Universe books but this, this is a level of brutality that I don't want to become used to or comfortable with.

The problem is that just like a junkie, I am attracted to something like this and it has a draw for me. And this is one of the better things that can happen when writing a review, something that was amorphous and vague becomes crystal clear.  I don't want something like this polluting my mind so I won't be reading any more by Mr. Child's.

No comments:

Post a Comment