Friday, June 15, 2018

Mere Christianity ★★★★★

This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot & Librarything by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission

Title: Mere Christianity
Series: ----------
Author: C.S. Lewis
Rating: 5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Theological Non-Fiction
Pages: 190
Format: Massmarket paperback



Synopsis:

Lewis turns some radio lectures/talks into book format in which he talks about Christianity and humanity on very basic levels and very broad terms. It really does come across as someone trying to have a casual conversation about an important subject and it feels like Lewis gets the balance of casual and importance just right.





My Thoughts:

I read this completely because of my reaction to Toll the Hounds. I needed a good anti-dote to Erikson's horrific existentialism and his debasement of Redemption. If any one could help, strengthen and encourage me in my Christian faith, Lewis is the man to do it.

I deliberately didn't take notes and actually tried to read through this as fast as I could, kind of like chugging some medicine. Not because it tasted bad, but I knew if I stopped to taste it, I'd start eating it drop by drop to get the full taste and I needed a large dose of medicine NOW. It worked well. No man is sufficient to himself and we ALL need help and encouragement along life's way.

This was not a heady and deep look into the various thoughts of Christian doctrine and how this church and that church have come to the conclusions they have, etc, etc. This was very much like Lewis having a conversation with you and much like any good conversation, if you aren't ready for it or don't want it, then it won't work for you no matter how good it is. So I certainly wouldn't just blanket recommend this to everyone. If you don't know anything about Christianity and want to learn something without committing yourself or getting dragged into theological depths you simply aren't even aware of, this is the book for you. If you are a Christian who needs some reminders and some encouragement, this is the book for you.

I COULD have taken notes. Pages of them. But that might just be me and how I deal with non-fiction. I go into a gear where I feel like I need to write a book report whenever I read non-fiction. However, I did underline one phrase that really stood out to me:
For mere improvement is no redemption, though redemption always improves people...”

Attaboy Lewis!!!

I am giving this a conditional “best book of the year” tag. Conditional because I don't read enough non-fiction for there to be enough to truly choose from. Also, I really don't like comparing escapist fare (no matter how enjoyable) with a serious book like this. Comparing them would mean they are equal and they aren't and I don't ever want to get into the mindset where they are.

★★★★★






No comments:

Post a Comment