Monday, November 11, 2019

[Manga Monday] Yotsuba&! #14 ★★★★☆


This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot & Librarything by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission
Title: Yotsuba&! #14
Series: Yotsuba&!
Author: Kiyohiko Azuma
Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
Genre: Manga
Pages: 224
Format: Paperback Copy




Synopsis:

Yotsuba has a ton of adventures. She learns to make bead necklaces and helps her daddy run his business. She also gets a princess dress from one of her neighbors and goes to yoga. Then the big adventure is when she and daddy go to Tokyo. They eat cotton candy and crepes and see aliens in the park! Then they meet daddy's sister who gives them a car. They go to a fancy restaurant which has big pans of pudding. Yotsuba is happy.


My Thoughts:

Well, it's been 3 years since I read the previous volume. Even longer than the wait between 12 and 13. I think this is done.

If it is done, this was a great way to end things. Yotsuba has tons of little adventures, is as cute and bold as always and ends the book in a car on a highway than can go “anywhere”. Unlimited possibilities, isn't that what childhood should be?

I read my review for Vol. 13 and many of the same things apply. This wasn't funny even while it was super cute. I didn't have a problem with that this time around, probably because it's been so long since I've read any Yotsuba&! that I kind of forgot it started out as humorous and not just cute.

This definitely was cuteness overload, in a good way. The manga-ka definitely nails the whole cute kid thing spot on, probably to the idealization level. Not having any kids of our own, I can't tell. But I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to take your cues for real life from a manga, so I bet I'm safe.

I just checked and there have been 4 more chapters released between 2018 and now in the monthly magazine Yotsuba&! is in. This volume has 7 chapters, so we're talking at least another year or 2 before there is enough material for another tankoubon. I'm ok with stopping this now. It ends on a great note and with no over-arching plot, there are no loose ends to tie up.


★★★★☆




No comments:

Post a Comment