Monday, March 23, 2020

Science Fiction Hall of Fame: The Great Novellas (Science Fiction Hall of Fame #2B) ★★★★☆


This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot & Librarything by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission
Title: The Great Novellas
Series: Science Fiction Hall of Fame #2B
Editor: Ben Bova
Rating: 4 of 5 Stars
Genre: SF
Pages: 743
Words: 202K




Synopsis:

Book includes:

The Martian Way - Isaac Asimov
Earthman, Come Home - James Blish
Rogue Moon - Algis Budrys
The Specter General - Theodore R. Cogswell
The Machine Stops - E. M. Forster
The Midas Plague - Frederik Pohl
The Witches of Karres - James H. Schmitz
E for Effort - T. L. Sherred
In Hiding - Wilmar H. Shiras
The Big Front Yard - Clifford D. Simak
The Moon Moth - Jack Vance



My Thoughts:

After the complete stinker that was the set of Novellas (Vol. 2A), I went into this read very trepidatiously. Thankfully, the first novella by Asimov set me at my ease, as I'd read the short story it was based on in one of his collections. Familiarity not only can breed contempt but it can also breed contentedness. I'd also read the full novel of Budry's Rogue Moon and Pohl's The Midas Plague.

With that, I experienced none of the “can we get this over this, please?!?!?” that I experienced in the previous volume. These novellas I found interesting and engaging and I kept on wanting to read them. I don't know why I enjoyed ALL of the novellas in this volume and none of the ones in 2A. Honestly, it baffles me.

If you want to experience SF in all its glory and all its stigma, read this series. The first volume of short stories is just sublime, Vol 2A is shamefully boring and this 2B volume brings things back to a more balanced view. I believe there are two more volumes (Volumes 3 and 4) but I think I'm going to pass since I doubt they're all on the level of Vol 1.

★★★★☆







No comments:

Post a Comment