Thursday, November 18, 2021

Myths, Part II (Spawn #15) ★★☆☆☆

 

This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot, & Librarything by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission
Title: Myths, Part II
Series: Spawn #15
Author: Todd McFarlane
Rating: 2 of 5 Stars
Genre: Comic
Pages: 25
Words: 1K





Synopsis:


From Imagecomics.fandom.com


The Clown's story continues. Medieval Spawn survives the Violator's blast, but he is horribly disfigured. Even in this state, however, he is able to best Violator with the help of his living suit's imprisoning tendrils. The Violator's severed head is hoisted aloft as a grisly trophy of their demonic battle. Ironically, the woman he sought to protect from the Violator is sickened by Spawn's true form and flees in flight.


The Spawn lays in an alley peacefully resting. When the owner comes out mad that bums in his alley are begging and foraging for scraps, the owner physically pushes Spawn around. Spawn is fed up with people trying to tell him what to do. He beats the man down and barks that this is now spawn territory. The man cowers away.


In Queens, New York, Terry Fitzgerald lays awake, terrified as the mob's men have threatened his family again and he doesn't know what to do.




My Thoughts:


So this whole “Myths” story was standing St. George and the Dragon on it's head. With the Violator being the dragon and Medieval Spawn being St. George. It really pissed me off that the Princess runs away from Medieval Spawn when he reveals his tortured form. I can understand that she doesn't want to get all “Hugs & Kisses” with him but to run away from him after he'd saved her life and killed the Violator that was torturing her? It also raised the question, to me, of WHY was Medieval Spawn all burnt up too? It doesn't happen to every Spawn because we saw the fat child killer who became a Spawn candidate still in “prime” condition. And speaking of Medieval Spawn.


Below is an illustration of the fantastic work that McFarlane can do, when he wants to. It is a great illustration of the talents he has. The problem with it is that it simply makes the times where he rough sketches things in that much more noticeable.





Part of me can understand not doing this level of work for every panel but at the same time, why not? Why isn't McFarlane putting out his best for the whole issue? Why does this particular spread get the love treatment while Terry in his boxers looks almost like a crayon drawing at the end?


Between everything that I've experienced with this comic in these 15 issues, nothing has made me want to continue. I don't like Spawn. I don't like his human Al Simmons. I don't like the 2 cops. I don't like the badguys and I don't like Wanda. I don't like the city or the situations and I don't like the universe portrayed. So I'm done with Spawn. 15 issues is enough of “testing the waters”. Any more testing and I'd be asking for Jaws to come chomp me up into little itty bitty pieces.


★★☆☆☆



No comments:

Post a Comment