Sunday, December 11, 2022

The Madness of Cthulhu Vol. 2 (Cthulhu Anthology #6) ★★★✬☆

 

This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot, & Librarything by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission

Title: The Madness of Cthulhu Vol. 2
Series: Cthulhu Anthology #6
Editor: S.T. Joshi
Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Cosmic Horror
Pages: 194
Words: 74K



TOC

20,000 Years Under the Sea by Kevin J. Anderson


Tsathoggua’s Breath by Brian Stableford


The Door Beneath by Alan Dean Foster


Dead Man Walking by William F. Nolan


A Crazy Mistake by Nancy Kilpatrick


The Anatomy Lesson by Cody Goodfellow


The Hollow Sky by Jason C. Eckhardt


The Last Ones by Mark Howard Jones


A Footnote in the Black Budget by Jonathan Maberry


Deep Fracture by Steve Rasnic Tem


The Dream Stones by Donald Tyson


The Blood in My Mouth by Laird Barron


On the Shores of Destruction by Karen Haber


Object 00922UU by Erik Bear and Greg Bear



With this collection, Joshi steers the boat back into the Cosmic Horror side of Cthulhu instead of the Weird Fiction stream he entered with Madness Vol 1. I much prefer Cosmic Horror (as I’ve said before and I’m sure I’ll say again).


I’m realizing, as I read more of these anthologies, that a good grounding in both classic literature AND the original Cthulhu Mythos by Lovecraft make for a much richer, fuller read. The first story, 20,000 Years Under the Sea is about Captain Nemo and the Nautilus, from Jules Verne’s story 20,000 Leagues under the Sea. While Anderson does a good job (I’m surprised I’m saying that about him, as I usually think he does slip shod and crappy work) of giving us all the details we need to know for this particular story, if you know the original story it adds some depth to the characters, etc. In the same way, A Footnote in the Black Budget deals with the shoggoth and the fallout from Lovecraft’s story The Mountains of Madness. Again, you are given everything you need for this particular story, but knowing the history just adds more to your enjoyment.


I also find that the horrible works better than the strictly weird. The Dream Stones is a perfect example. That is an interview at a police station with a person who appears to have gone insane after murdering 6 couples. But if you believe in the mythos, you see that they have been driven insane by something so vast that it simply broke their mind. Why does that appeal to me? I have no idea.


Overall, I was pretty pleased with this collection. There was no snobbery or pretentiousness to ruin the stories and we went from the time of the Vikings to the Far Future, so it wasn’t all the same setting. At the same time, I gave this the same rating as Vol 1 because none of these stories quite rose to the occasion. So while I enjoyed the Cosmic Horror, it wasn’t as good as I was hoping for.


★★★✬☆



2 comments:

  1. Ooh Cthulhu. I never reallly got into those as a kid but as an adult I have more appreciation for the cosmic horror thing. Melding that with Nemo is kind of a cool idea. Interesting too that Greg Bear and stableford are in here- these must be earlier stories? And William Nolan- from Logan's Run fame?

    Oh, and re: The Executioner. I knew they were written by other people after a certain point but I had no idea there were so many!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would have appreciated Cosmic Horror as a young person. It's taken me getting older to appreciate the psychological horror of it all.

      And yeah, Mack Bolan went on for a VERY long time...

      Delete