Thursday, August 03, 2023

Rock Jaw: Master of the Eastern Border (Bone #28-32) 3Stars

 

This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress & Blogspot by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission

Title: Rock Jaw: Master of the Eastern Border
Series: Bone #28-32
Author: Jeff Smith
Rating: 3 of 5 Stars
Genre: Comics
Pages: 128
Words: 5K


My goodness, what a lot of back and forth. Between Roque Ja, locusts, Dream Kingdok, REAL Kingdok and various rat creatures, Fone and Smiley are on the run the entire time. If I had had to read this in five individual comic issues, I would have quit for sure. As it was, lumping these together gave me “just enough” of a story to feel like I hadn’t wasted my time.

But barely.

I have to admit, I really preferred the beginning of the series when it was just the Bone cousins having little mini-adventures in a new place and meeting new people. This whole “ancient battle between mega-powerful forces” is not what I want. At this point though, I simply don’t remember enough of the story to stop and I DO want to see how things end. Now that I’m not hobbling myself with an issue a month, I can bypass Smith’s stupidity and total jackassery at pacing and read at a clip that suits me better.

I do wonder if I’m going to see Roque Ja again or if Smith just used him as a one off character to write a side story. A gigantic mountain lion is pretty cool so I do hope we see him again, even if he isn’t necessarily one of the good guys.

On the funny side, there was another “stupid, stupid rat creatures” moment involving Roque Ja and the two rogue rat creatures. I just laughed my head off at Roque Ja’s expression here :-)


★★★☆☆




From Bookstooge.blog (because the Boneville.fandom.com people are a bunch of pissant losers)

Fone and Smiley and Bartleby (the baby rat creature) escape the two rat creatures who want to turn them into quiches. In the process they run into a giant mountain lion named Roque Ja. He is against the dragons and the rat creatures but hates the dragons more. Fone, Smiley and Bartleby are rescued from him by the possum kids who get the two rat creatures into Roque Ja’s sight. All three go over a cliff. An enraged Roque Ja chases the Bones and various small orphan creatures into a cave.

The cave leads to an abandoned temple. Everybody starts to head down the mountain away from Roque Ja. Only to be discovered by the two rat creatures. Who are then in turn discovered by Kingdok the lord of the rat creatures. Everybody ends up on a ledge trying not to get eaten by Kingdok. A bunch of locusts show up and try to kidnap Fone. A medallion falls out of his backpack and banishes them. It also banished Kingdok, who was only a dream manifestation from the old temple they passed though.

Roque Ja finds them all and delivers them to the real Kingdok, who betrays Roque Ja by trying to kill him. In the scuffle the group of Bones and orphans escape to the treeline. Bartleby ends up with the rat creatures and the Bones begin the journey back to the village to figure out what is going on.



No comments:

Post a Comment