Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Vastalimi Gambit (Cutter's Wars #2)


The Vastalimi Gambit (Cutter's Wars) - Steve Perry This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer.

Title: The Vastalimi Gambit
Series: Cutter's Wars
Author: Steve Perry
Rating: 2.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: SF
Pages: 304


Synopsis:
Doc and Kay the Vastalimi, have returned to her home world to investigate a new plague that seems to be randomly killing various Vastalimi.
The rest of Cutter's Crew puts out a little brushfire of a situation and then heads to Vastalimi to help out Doc and Kay.
And the incorruptable Vastalimi police force is involved *eye roll*

My Thoughts:
After my initial rapture with the first book, I was all set to love this as well. However, either Perry's writing dropped a lot OR I used my brains and not my gun loving to read this one.

Sadly, this was just plain mediocre. Cutter's whole crew should have been involved from the get go, not 3/4 of the way through. There was a LOT of profanity [which I don't remember from the first book, but it might have been there] and I dropped a full star for interspecies sex [albeit non-graphic].

There was lots of skulking, posturing and the occasional chase/fight/shootout/whatever, but it seemed very blase to me. I'm not sure why but this book just didn't click with me like the first book did. If a 3rd book ever gets written I'll probably read it but I won't be waiting for it, counting the days, etc, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment