Saturday, October 08, 2022

The Bookstooge Chronicles: The Midlife Crisis



 25 years since I started Bible School. And maaaaaan, I think I am having a midlife crisis here. So instead of breaking down, buying a red porsche, throwing over Mrs B for a space hooker and burning down my work place, I've decided to read my old journals. Yeah, when I have a midlife crisis, I don't take the easy route!

This little journal is 25 years old. It's older than some of the people I know at church for goodness sake!

Holy smokes folks, what a trip. I was going to share some of them, but after reading several months worth, yeah, that ain't happening. It has shown me several things though.

25 years has allowed me to have a completely different perspective of time. Every day was a new adventure, filled to the brim with new and exciting things. Now, life is a routine that I glide through on a weekly basis and sometimes I wonder where the entire month has gone. Back then, my emotions went through the whole cycle on a weekly basis. Now, if I'm lucky, that'll only happen on an annual basis. Getting married has also changed me immensely. Back then I cycled through girls like socks. Now I've been happily married to one woman for 14 years and she knows me and still loves me (you have no idea how amazing that is if you knew me in real life) and when I wake up each morning I don't have to wonder what I'm going to feel that day. Oh my goodness, that is such a burden off of my shoulders, that was an exhausting way to live, let me tell you.

I was also the most naive person I have ever known. Reading some of those entries I wonder how I made it through life. I also felt bad for the people around me at that time, oy vey. Which makes me laugh because in about 20 years I bet you a hill of jellybeans that I'll be saying the same exact thing about the present me. Bet you didn't see THAT coming, eh? Hahahahaa :-D

While Bookstooge was no Jedi Master by the time he was 23, he also hadn't french kissed his own sister. You decide which is the greater achievement.

I remember one time a professor told a story about how he found an old journal, read it and then razor bladed it because he was so embarrassed by it. I understand that feeling now but unlike my professor, being reminded of that embarrassing time helps me to remember what it is like being that age. And hence to have a bit of mercy to those young punks who are pretty worthless in every imaginable way ;-) Ahhh, I love being a cranky old self-righteous bastard instead of a snot-nosed young self-righteous bastard. Makes all the difference.

Another thing, confidence. I was worried about working out 5 times a week, running every day, if I was too skinny, etc, etc, etc. Everything I did was through the lens of what others would think of it. Now I just don't care. There are a few specific people whose opinion DOES matter to me but outside of them, everyone else can go hang :-D (on a side note, my biceps are an inch bigger now. So don't mess with me or I'll knock your block off, then slit your throat with my kbar and then double tap you with my sig). But don't worry, I'd never actually do that, because I'm so peaceful now and I love everyone so much ;-)

The Whammomatic 3000. It punches, it slices, it shoots, all in ONE convenient and easy to use package.

So anyway, this was good for me. I just needed to get that all out. If this is as much of a "crisis" as I'll have to deal with, I'm totally ok with that. Only start to worry if I start putting up pictures of red porsches. Or posting How To's on arson..




ps,
not to worry you, but don't be surprised if you see more posts like this. Not spending all my words on reviews means I have to get them out some other way and writing drivel like this is the usual way for me. So if you've had a midlife crisis, how did you handle it?

No comments:

Post a Comment