Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Cthulhu Reloaded (Cthulhu: Harrison Peel #1) 3.5Stars

 

This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot, & Librarything by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission

Title: Cthulhu Reloaded
Series: Cthulhu: Harrison Peel #1
Editor: David Conyers
Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Short Story Collection
Pages: 240
Words: 94K

I enjoyed this collection of Cthulhu oriented stories, but with some big ol’ caveats. And they are big enough that I seriously considered dinging this down to 3stars instead of the 3.5 I ended up giving it.

First off, this is a collection of short stories all centered about the adventures of one Australian, Harrison Peel. He’s special forces and gets inducted into a secret agency that fights intrusions of the cosmic horror into our reality. And that is where my first caveat comes in. They are great horror stories. Wonderful in fact. But Peel sails through them all with nary a mind break in sight. What he sees affects him, but not any more than how veteran cops are affected after a life time of seeing the worst of humanity. And that is why I didn’t give this the “Cosmic Horror” tag. Peel should have been broken like an egg dropped from a sky scraper and he was barely scratched, not even cracked and totally not broken. In both the Introduction by Peter Clines and the Forward by the author, they mention how they don’t understand why people want to read stories about the main characters failing or breaking and thus Conyers created Harrison Peel as a character to combat that idea. Which just goes to show that Conyers doesn’t understand Cosmic Horror at it’s fundamental, foundational level. THE WHOLE POINT IS THAT CTHULHU AND HIS ILK ARE INIMICAL TO HUMANITY WITHOUT EVEN TRYING TO BE, THEY SIMPLY ARE. When you depart from that premise, you can have some great horrific stories but they aren’t cosmic horror. So that is my first and biggest caveat.

My second caveat is almost a sub-caveat to the first one. A lot of side characters DO go mad or get destroyed or totally lose it in one way or another. But not Peel. He keeps surviving through each and every short story. That is inimical (love that word!) to Cosmic Horror. It makes the stories simply adventure stories and if you’re looking for that, you’ll get your fill of some really good ones here. I was pretty impressed overall with the quality, but the author does admit that he went back and reworked many of these stories to fit together better and to polish them up. I had no problem with that and considering this collection came together, I’m happy he did that.

My final caveat is that there is a King in Yellow story and man, was I disappointed. It all springs from the idea that Peel doesn’t crack, so of course I was disappointed. The Yellow King never attempts to destroy someone until they have been sufficiently worked on so that they will destroy themselves. The King in Yellow would not offer me a harem, because he would know I was committed to Mrs B. But what he would do is to work against that love and loyalty that I have for Mrs B for my entire life until I WAS ready to accept a harem. And he would work it so that I would give myself heart and soul to him for just that chance. But once again, not Peel. He gives Peel the option to have something he truly wants, but it is offered without the ground work being laid so of course Peel walks away from it and the King in Yellow just lets him go. Bologna! That is NOT how the King in Yellow stories work. If he knows you are insusceptible, he won’t tempt you. Now, the story itself, dealing with the side characters, was a great KiY story and I enjoyed that part of it, a lot. But the inclusion of Peel and his “shrug it all off” attitude destroyed my enjoyment.

I really debated about including this as part of my Cthulhu Anthology “series” and wondered if it would be better served as it’s own little thing, but in the end I did include it because I feel that anything Cthulhu related should stay together to make it easier for others to find out about it. There are two more Harrison Peel collections and I plan on reading them both, but I will approach them quite differently than I did this time and hopefully that will help mitigate some of the dislike I felt for this author and his deliberate misinterpretation of the “Cosmic Horror” genre.

★★★

Table of Contents:

  • Introduction -Peter Clines

  • Forward - David Conyers

  • Made of Meat

  • Driven Underground

  • Impossible Object

  • False Containment

  • Tears in Yellow

  • The Weaponized Puzzle

  • Weapon Grade

  • The Elder Codex

No comments:

Post a Comment